Nobody likes tantrums neither the parents or the children, but no matter what we do they are hard to avoid. Tantrums can occur at any age (not just the terrible twos) and it can be caused by a range of factors. I hate hate hate when darragh is upset and frustrated so I do anything to avoid them happening.
- Sleep is so important for the child and the parent (even if it is hard to get). I pray each night before I go to sleep that I will get at least 7 hours!! Sleep breeds sleep so I always ensure Darragh gets an afternoon nap and also an early bedtime.
- Spending time with your child one on one is really beneficial as they can sometimes act out if they feel that they haven’t got as much of your attention that is needed. When I notice he is beginning to change his behavior I’ll often try and give him as much positive attention as I can.
- Distraction Distraction Distraction.. if I can sense a tantrum coming on I’ll try and divert his attention and distract him. This often prevents the tantrum ever happening!! (Mom win) Reading stories calms him down and it’s time for us together on our own.
- ALWAYS make sure you have snacks!!!! Snacks can prevent anything, they are my magical tool especially when we are out and about.
- I tend to ignore bad behavior unless it’s necessary, as I often think bad behavior can stem from the reaction you give or tiredness/hunger.
Tantrums can happen, as much as we try and avoid them. (Noooooo!!!) But the way in which we deal with them can change the situation.